Sunday, November 27, 2011

Candle holder

I started a new project today using some Cherry and Pine that I had sitting in the shop. The main part of the candle holder will be made of cherry and have an inlay of pine down the middle once completed. Once completed the holder will have spots for 3 candles. Today, I removed a 1/2"x1/4" chunk of the cherry down the middle. This will be the place where the pine strip will be placed. Below are a few photos of the progress that has been made. Take a look and feel free to comment or ask any questions.

1)Solid piece of Cherry

2)1/2"x1/4" groove removed for pine inlay

3)Pine inlay glued in place

After drilling out the 3 places for the candles and a little sanding the candle holder is starting to take shape.


I made some progress today on the holder by routing the edges with a roundover profile and getting grooves cut for the feet. The feet will keep the candle holder elevated off the bottom.

I finally got the chance to apply the finish to the candle holder over this past weekend to complete the project. I applied 3 coats of Minwax waterbased semi-gloss clear finish. The finish really brings out the color and grain of the Cherry. The pine inlay gives great contrast to the cherry. This should make a great center piece for a kitchen table or dresser.








1 comment:

  1. Great photos. As a paper crafter, I am always trying to figure out what to do with all my paper scraps. I love the candle holder - I could almost smell the wood:) Sharon

    ReplyDelete